Sunday, July 4, 2010

Travel Day (6/29/10-6/30-10)

Well, since I have some time to waste on this 7 hour and 44 min flight, I thought I’d take a moment to update everyone.
My frist flight went well. Take off was great and the flight was smooth. I sat next to a young girl who was on her way to see her grandma and stay at a cabin they own on a lake. She told me she was from Utah and that she and her twin sister and younger brother were traveling like they always did every summer. She told me how her mom was a flight attendant for Delta so they got to fly a lot.
So my flight landed in Minneapolis at 4:15. My next flight was to take off at 5:05. I got off my plane and asked for directions. I learned that I had to go to the opposite end of the airport. If the Minneapolis Airport is familiar, I got off my plane in concourse A and my next gate was in concourse G. I had to walk a bit and then get on a tram and then walk quite a bit further. When I got to my gate, I was one of the last people to board, but I made it! While I was making my way to my gate, I was able to talk to my sister and mom.
I got on my plane, found my seat and soon met my next seat buddy. It was an older gentleman from the Netherlands-he spoke English but it was a bit hard to understand him at times. This flight was from Minneapolis to Amsterdam which was 4,166 miles. I watched two movies on this flight “When in Rome” and “Tooth Fairy.” I then took a nap and when I woke up didn’t feel very well. My flight landed and I was very glad to get on the airplane. Amsterdam was a very unusually airport. We landed one place and then taxied over two major highways. We unloaded the plane and I thought the two hours before my next flight would settle my stomach. It didn’t seem to be getting better so to I took some pepto. It was then time to board and I still wasn’t feeling any better.
Well I made it into the air and thing began to get much worse. I soon found myself asking the flight attendant if I could vomit in the bathroom and she offer me her seat which was next to the bathroom. For the next 5 hours of the 8 hr flight I spent my time between the flight attendant’s seat and the bathroom. (She took very good care of me!) The remaining 3 hours I was able to go back to my seat and sleep for awhile. We finally landed and Barbara Pinkly (who was sitting in front of me) took me through the visa getting process and down to the baggage claim. Customs was very easy to clear and I soon found the café where I was to meet Aly. By this time my stomach was filling a bit better.
Aly arrived and we found our taxi driver who took us to the AACC guesthouse. I was able to call and talk to my mom for a bit but not long as I was tired and we needed to figure out what time our taxi was coming in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment