Sunday, July 4, 2010

First 24hrs. in Kenya

Let’s just say it I’m definitely in Africa. Crazy Matatu Drivers, red dirt that stains everything, bumpy roads, children chasing tires down the hills with beautiful smiles and bare feet.
I woke up at 7:00am because my alarm accidentally went off and there were many loud noises outside my window; however, I did fall back asleep for a little while. I then got up at 8:00am and washed my hair the sink in cold water as there was no hot water in out room. Aly and I waited and waited for our taxi to come, which was supposed to be there at 9, but didn’t show up until around 10-10:30. I guess he went to the wrong place. He (Elisha) took us to the supermarket to buy food. By this time I again was not feeling well at all, and we still had to get Aly a cell phone and we needed to exchange more money. We got to the mall and exchanged our money, then I went and bought water while Aly got her phone. When we got ready to leave the mall I was still feeling pretty horrible ( I thought the water would help, oh I also ate some crackers that we had bought-neither helped). So we drove to Kijabe, an hour from Niarobi, I was absolutely miserable the entire way. We got to the Mendonsa’s and met Julie, she then took us to where we are staying where we met Leah (lay-uh). After a bit of talk with her we went back to Julie’s. She made me so chicken noodle soup, which was hard to get down, but didn’t seem to bad on the stomach. We then walked back to our house, because another bed was supposed to be arriving, but Leah wasn’t there and hadn’t come, so we waited. Kenya time is much like Trinidad time, “they may say 9am but really if they show up before noon, they are on time.” So Julie called Leah, and we found out she couldn’t get to the bed because the people weren’t home. So we went to IDP camp to pick up some other guests, and one of the builders wife and son. Oh by this time I was feeling much better.
On our drive out of Kijabe, some of the children began to follow our car. The road was incredibly bumpy and well used. We made our way down the mountain to the Rift Valley where the IDP camp was located. As soon as we got out of the car we were greeted by a few children. We then went to find Rachel, Dee Dee, and Bryant and found many children along the way who just wanted to hold your hand and give you hugs. We didn’t stay long as we had to pick up Tim who was at Naomi’s Village. We stopped there long enough to pick him up and see where Naomi’s Village was located. We then drove back and were dropped at our road. Julie is going to come pick us up for supper in a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment